Petersons Old Veit Farm Reflections

I have blind spots and a lot more to learn about everything. Any truth I express is a gift from God. Follow God's "blog," not mine!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Diamond Lake, Northeast Washington state, United States

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pride’s Damning Consequence: It Does Not Love!

In the previous post I wrote about my attitude toward the many Christians who differ from me. As believers, we also need to watch our attitudes toward non-Christians. Every one of us was once in that same category.

The relationship we now have with God was made possible by Jesus Christ. He is the way, the truth, and the life. The relationship we now have with him results from our sins being forgiven by grace through faith. This compels us to love every human being as God loves them. Just as with brothers and sisters in Christ, I want to also be very interested in and very patient with everyone who does not yet share my confession that Jesus is Lord. Just because I think that someone is “dead wrong” does not mean that I wish that person dead. I can love and accept you even if I don’t approve of everything you say or do. (God does!)

If our ambition is to become more important and attract a following, we are blind to the lesson taught by the greatest person who has ever lived (other than Jesus), John the Baptist. What made John great was his clear understanding that it was all about Jesus, not himself. Even though the gospel is all about what God has done for you and me, it is not all about you, and it is not all about me. It is always all about our Lord Jesus Christ. That is why “he must increase, but you and I must decrease.”

The Bible makes it clear that one thing is more important than everything else: To love God and one another. The commitment to die for the one you love is the primary aspect of the love that Jesus teaches and God demonstrates. True love makes the life of the other person always more important than one’s own. The most damning consequence of my pride is that it keeps me from loving! “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.” (1 Corinthians 13:4)

This is the fifth and last in a series of posts excerpted from my “personal conclusion” to the booklet, “30 Meditations for the Proud” February 2013. To receive a free electronic copy, email me at daniellesliepeterson@gmail.com.

Also available is a comprehensive study, “Everything (in the Bible) about John the Baptist.” This amazing story about an amazing man has the power to change your story! Are you and your ministry preparing the way for Jesus, always pointing to him? Can you get out of the way so that Jesus and others become more and more important while you and your work and ministry become less and less important? Do you encourage your followers to follow Jesus instead?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home